Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Still Believe.

So even after game 1 of the Western Conference Finals where the Lakers thoroughly mopped the floor with Los Suns... I still believe.

I've been a Suns fan my whole life and I've been a Suns addict more recently since 2007.  I took some time between 93' and 07' to morn the devastating loss to the Bulls that year in the Suns 2nd NBA Finals appearance ever.  I was only 8 years old but I remember crying like a baby.


It's funny how the Suns first ever NBA Finals appearance was in 1976, then 17 years later they showed up again with KJ, Barkley and company in 1993...  well it's 2010 - 17 years later. 

For me there couldn't be a better road of satisfaction to travel back to the finals this year - we swept our nemesis the Spurs who had dismissed us like 20 times in a row in playoffs past, and now we face our bitter division rivals, the Lakers.   I hate the Lakers.  They are pretty  much the Yankees of the NBA. I'm not just talking about their snobbish/stuck-up/arrogant attitudes accross the board -  take a look at their team salary, the highest in the league. Over $4M more than the team with the deepest pocketed owner in the league.  There is a $16,450,211 difference between their team salary and the Suns'.

I have no doubt that if we had an extra player for around that price we'd be the team everyone was calling 'long' and 'lengthy', especially if we had Dwight Howard (who makes $15,133,800) on top of all the guys we already had.

Or lets pretend we had LeBron James ($15,799,912) - Dwayne Wade ($15,799,912)?  How about Kevin Garnett ($16,400,00)?  OH BABY.  YOU THINK things would be different?  That's a giant affirmative.  But that's not how it works and you make do with what you have.

*Not that it played a huge role in last night's no-show from Phoenix* but to add insult to advantage there is an obviously different rule book the NBA officials pull out when super-stars like Kobe Bryant are on the floor.  That has always boggled my mind.   The fool is already insanely-talented... and now you want to go and make the game easier for him?  OH, that makes total sense.

Though my hatred for the Lakers runs thick - my confidence in the Suns is what keeps me believing.  They've shown tremendous heart and resolve the whole season - I still believe they can pull this off.

2 comments:

  1. There is an anthropological term for the other side to your keen observation on excessive contracts:

    Conspicuous consumption - the display of material items for the purpose of impressing others.

    Well done, Euty!

    ReplyDelete